Being the wind capital of Europe, there are plenty of spots to choose from (except during the high season which is the 15th June until 15th September when restrictions apply) and the the conditions can vary greatly.
So if you’re an occasional kitesurfer, you have your own equipment and you’re coming to Tarifa, the question is:
Do you bring your own equipment or rent when you arrive?
It might seem like a no brainer, however these are a few things to think about:
- Do you have the kites for the conditions? Due to the variety of the spots the conditions here may be very different to what you have at your home spots.
- Being fully prepared for the wind and waves can mean bringing up to 3 kites and 2 boards.
- Is it worth dealing with the hassle of transporting the kite bag on the airlines.
- How old is your equipment? Things have changed a lot in the last 3 years and the equipment today is just easier to use, allowing you to improve much more easily and quickly.
Having considered these points, if you think that renting is right for you. I'd like to let you know what we provide over and above just renting you the equipment.
- Spot selection - Choose the best spot for the weather conditions on the day.
- Most spots have unique characteristics that change with the weather. Each day we will recommend the best spot for that day and make sure you have the right equipment for the spot. We want you to get the best value from your time on the water.
- Supervision: If you’re good enough to rent but not so confident to just take off into the unknown.
- We offer supervised sessions so you have your freedom, but, safe in the knowledge that someone is looking out for you. The conditions can change quickly and if you're not experienced in reading the weather, wind and currents. Its easy to get caught out.
- Rescue boats: During the summer months in offshore conditions (called Levante) we are covered by the Sea Angels.
What do you need to provide:
- A card from a recognised authority that says you are a competent kiteboarder who can ride to an approved standard. For example:
- some photo ID such as a passport or driver's license
Why rent from Free Your Mind?
We are the European test center for the Zian Kiteboarding brand so we have all the latest equipment which is well maintained and includes:
- Kites - freestyle, wave and freeride.
- Boards: twin tips and wave boards
- Harnesses: seated, waist and freestyle
- Wetsuits and pumps
To know the best spot of the day or get guidance you can pass by our shop, call us or follow our “Kite Conditions & Forecast” updates on our twitter, facebook or instagram